If you are going to have a successful remodeling project, you need to learn the right questions to ask.
We are asked these questions most frequently:
- When can you start?
- When will you be finished?
- What time will you knock on my door each morning?
- What time will you quit for the day?
- Are you going to work every day?
- Can you finish before (insert any major holiday or significant family event)?
- How much will it cost per square foot?
Unfortunately, these are not the type of questions that are going to tell you much about the character of a particular remodeling contractor. Homeowners should be focusing on trust and quality. If you find someone who is reputable and trustworthy, the time and money details are covered. Start by asking questions about a company's business practices and experience in a similar type of home remodeling project.
Here are some questions you should ask before signing a remodeling contract:
- How long have you been in business?
- Who will be assigned as project supervisor for the job?
- Who will be working on the project? Are they employees or subcontractors?
- Does your company carry liability insurance?
- Always verify liability insurance information by calling the agency. A copy of an insurance certificate does not let you know if the policy is still current. Even if the certificate has an expiration date, you cannot tell if the insurance has been canceled by either party.
- Is your contractor registered with the state of Pennsylvania? Call the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection at 1-888-520-6680 or visit the website of the Pennsylvania Attorney General at www.attorneygeneral.gov.
- What is your approach to a project such as this?
- How many projects like mine have you completed?
- May I have a list of references from those projects?
- May I have a list of business referrals or suppliers?
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business?
It's also important to realize that sometimes it's not the answers you get that are significant, but what you don't get. Asking the right questions is not enough. You need to pay attention to your instincts and to what information is missing.
Remodeling with Hambleton Builders can be a fun experience. Together we get to create your dream room or home!